Friday, April 10, 2009

Answer to Chica's Question

When making wudu does one have to cover their hair?

The answer is no, because the Prophet S.A.W told us to wipe over it from the hairline to the back of head and then back up to wipe inside and behind the ears. This is the sunnah, so if you have privacy from non-maharam men, this is how you should make your wudu. If you are not able to find a private place to makde wudu and are in danger of the prayer time running out, the scholars are in agreement that you may wet what strands and parts of your hair that your fingers may reach underneath your hijab and still have a valid wudu, since you cannot remove your hijab in the presence of non-maharams. But the sunnah is to wet the hair from the hairline to the back of the head and then back up to wipe water within and around the ears.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chica said...

Jazakallah girls.... but I bet my mum will still argue with me about it bless her little socks!

April 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Umm Ibrahim said...

asalaamu alaikum

good points but, I do recall reading several times somewhere that the scholars allow us to wipe over our hijabs just like they allow men to wipe over their turbans...it's somewhere...i remember on MuslimahsInHijab we had this discussion years back and several fatawah popped up about this which stated that.

Hence if I'm in a public place I rarely if ever take off my hijab to do wuduh...I wipe over and then wipe my ears and the front where my hair is. This is supposed to suffice...

I can dig around and see if I find the fatawaah on this.

August 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there's a fire burning in your house, and you will die if you stay inside, can you leave the house without hijab?

September 4, 2009 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Aalia of Abu Dhabi said...

Yes, Anonymous.

It would be HARAAM or a SIN not to.

September 26, 2009 at 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home